Call Us Today:


​​Oram-Smith Family Law

Jennifer D. Oram-Smith PC.

Virginia Beach, Virginia

Call us at 757-226-0141 to schedule a confidential legal consultation at our office located near Town Center in Virginia Beach 

Virginia Beach Family lawyer

Name Change  Virginia Beach

name change minor

Name Change

There are several situations that may necessitate a legal name change. In the case of divorce, if a woman wants to change her last name back to her maiden name, it can be done in conjunction with the divorce. 

Many women opt to change their last name back to their maiden name if there are no children from the marriage. The name change is a legal matter, but it is also a point of closure for many women. 

Women may opt to keep their spouses last name for a specific reason, such as children. Some may decide to wait a period of time, and then change it. 

There may be professional reasons for changing names, such as simplifying or changing from a complex or difficult to pronounce last name.

A parent may want to change the last name of a child for several reasons, such as divorce or re-marriage. Name change of minors when both parents consent requires the application to be signed under oath in front of a notary. If only one parent signs the name change application, a court hearing date is assigned by the clerk and the non-signing parent is notified of the hearing. After hearing the evidence presented by both parties, the court decides what is in the best interest of the child. 

Name changes require an application to be filed with the court and a birth certificate is also required to complete the change. Name change of minors also requires a birth certificate.

No matter what the circumstance, or court requirements, we can take care of your name change to insure the process is completed efficiently and quickly.